Monday 21 June 2010

21st of June_ Part 1

The name's Kao, Chabi-Kao...

Embassy trip (finally).
I forget the 'letter of invitation', home. Well no, I didn't forget, I just didn't have one you see... and I was told it didn't REALLY matter.
But it did, as anything I DON'T have these days...
So in the queue for two hours ( after two 'gentlemen' casually pushed in front of me), I finally got seen, only to be told that I actually CAN'T be seen.
But thank God ( or the african mentality) that my aunt was in the car waiting for me. I must explain...
My grandfather was the first Minister of Finance (in Benin). His cousin was also the first Prime Minister (tautology NOT intended).
My grandpa is also the man who found and set up the Benin embassy in France, so he is known. He's name is Chabi-Kao Pascal. My aunt, who married into the familly, has the same first name (Pascale, with an E because she's a woman) and since she's married, the same last name too. SO... she used her supposed influence to help me out, she said she was his daughter (Mr Chabi-Kao's) and I should not bebothered... and I wasn't.
Surprisingly, at first, I was glad I got to use my 'relation'. Only afterwards did it feel a little like corruption, getting to NOT do what is proper because of my familly's affluence.
Wasn't I perpetuating the ''not-so-mythical-now-huh-leine?'' myth that you have to KNOW somebody to get anywhere? Not proud of me... But at least now I know what it feels like, and I am less inclined to judge... I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!