Tuesday 22 June 2010

21st Of June _ Part 2

'FĂȘte De La Musique:

Exhilarating. Music everywhere, each corner of Paris resonating with pulsating vibes, african drums or electric guitars, buskers, professionals in bars and accoustic amateurs. Friendly melodies or hard core sounds... I went to La Banane Ivoirienne. We sat and enjoyed a few "prestations" from a local but Ivorian-at-heart group.
Drums and Maracass "de fortune" (Improvised instuments, west african style, wooden with a net and some "cauris").
The stage covered with Akan cloth a backdrop with similar decorations.
The musicians varied in sizes, heights, hairstyles skin tones... They 'ambianced' the little place. I felt nostagic, hearing these guys play live BaBi music and was in awe at the composition of the crowds: Black (African-Caribbean) White and North Africans.
I must admit that (at the risk of sounding like an ignorant somebody) I half expected to find any person who was not from subsaharian Africa, dressed in'Vlisco' shirts, baggy trousers, ethnic jewellry dread locks etc... you know the stereotypes lol, but NO, they were your regular average people, who just came out to play.


It was beautiful, filled me with joy, especcially when I got on stage (with Oscar Wilde's Sybyl Vane) and danced...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!