Saturday 3 July 2010

And so it follows

Wow, it's been like a WHOLE week in this country, and it feels like a month...
I promised an emotional entry about seeing everybody and being back to a place I could vaguely remember in my dreams and memories.
I wonder if I will be capable of such a feat.
So many little things (that I find amazing) have happened, how can I remember it in details?
I may have to be a writer and 'fashion' my story, as opposed to being a historian... I hope you get the drift of this addage.

When we parked in front of the house, I saw my dad (Joel Chabi-Kao) waiting outside.
I don't remember how I felt then... he was there, but it wasn't surreal like a sight from my wildest dreams. I got out and hugged him and started crying. I shouldn't have. The tears were mechanica, less due to emotion and more to do with duty: subconciously, it felt like the expected thing to do...
I liked being in his arms though, I felt like it was my right to be daddy's girl for a moment, to be held because I was a child returning home. A child... not a step-child or a niece... a child, held by the person whose blood flows through her...

My cousin, Marlène (commonly called mahyoo), came out too. I saw her and embraced her, cried some more, on a roll you see.
I'd been, evasively, communicating with her on facebook for almost a year, so even though I hadn't seen her in 12 years, I knew her face well, and she felt familiar somehow.
By that time I'd completely forgotten my companion of fortune (Yérima).

Through the window, I could see two little heads sticking out. .. I guessed them to belong to my sisters. MY sisters! I shuddered... I felt as though I wouldn't be up to their expectations. Would they like their presents? Would they think me fun? Pretty? Weird?... Sister material???
I walked in and Murielle said hello politely (she's 8 and the eldest). I hugged her, she was limp. I was disapointed, slightly felt rejected. But Laurette RAN towards me and I picked her up and hugged her (she's 5). She smiled all the way to her ears. I put her down, I was tired, in heels and in our precipitation I hadn'd realised that she was a grown infant, my back thanked me the next day.
I went around and hugged every one else, my granparents, Pascal and Bernadette Chabi-Kao (I'd seen grandma a few months earlier in Paris, so she felt familiar too), my stepmom (Mireille) and a couple of others, only to realise that people DON'T usually hug here!
They do those kisses on the cheek thing ( 4 of them here, only 2 in France). They'd all felt strangely distant when I put my arms around them each... I quickly got it.

The first night was strangely odd and beautiful, I couldn't have imagined something better, worse or similar :) but so much more has happened, I don't think I'll relate it all. Some of it, is just little everyday happenings that I find poetic, because I'm MsPoe and see poetry everywhere, in everything lol.

1 comment:

  1. I know this to be a bit long, but i didn't want to do it in stages. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!