Wednesday 14 July 2010

Cotonou By Night.

I've met some amazing people, through my cousin Marlène. We decided to go out one week-end, at night, to some beautiful places in town.

We went to a really cool restaurant on the beach, at night it seemed magical. The waves crashing on shore, the candle light atmosphere, the arranged garden we were in... VERY beautiful and soothing.
We played a game: "What is your favourite" Memory, present etc...
It was nice to discover what people usually held dear. As expected it was the things that came free in life, that always came out to be the most important.

Here, I've noticed that CREAM ( Cash Runs Everything Around Me) rules, there is so much poverty, that to live a decent life, you need quite a lot. I understand the dynamics of that, but being me, in love with all things simple and meaningful, money is just a tool for me. It is not the most important thing, and is only there to make already fulfilled lives better.

Cotonou is beautiful at night, the town comes alive, lights everywhere, people sell food and other things by the side of the road, and there are so many 2 wheel-taxis (zemidjans).
It's nice to just drive around and see how life unfolds, how people go about there businesses, smiles, frowns, transactions.
And I'm discovering all this with amazing people, who have become friends of old, in an instant.
On one of these week-end outings, I got dropped home late, so late that everyone at home was asleep, and no one picked up their phones to come and open the door. Marlène's friend stayed with me, waiting talking trying to find a solution. It was genuine friendship even if we barely knew each other.
People here are cool, the one's I've met are not self-centered, if it's my problem, it's also theirs.
I like.

2 comments:

  1. Un vrai goût de l'Afrique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can have a picture of the heaven I'm in right now... I may have to lengthen my stay here :D

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!