Thursday 15 July 2010

Calavi

I went to Abomey Calavi, for my step grandmother's birthday.

It was nice to step away from Cotonou and discover something a little more rural. In Calavi, the earth is red. Dusty but smooth, even when you leave the main road.
It took my aunt Lola, my sisters and I about one hour to get there. The journey was nice, it felt like a road trip to the countryside.
Life seems a lot more village like, but it's not a village.
The birthday celebration was nice, I didn't eat the food, I didn't like the look of it, and to be honest, the hygienic standards had to be checked. Not being arrogant or anything but I do have to look after my gut, my anti-bodies are not that tough yet.
I don't know if they felt offended that I didn't eat, or if they thought I was a stuck up Afro-pean. I hope not, but it doesn't matter, my bowels come first.

My dad was there, presenting me like a trophy child to everyone, it was slightly unerving, but after talking to a close friend (and personal guide) I realised that he was proud to have me around, and liked to show off. I know the feeling :)

The women gathered up together at some point, in a circle, and danced some traditional dances.
Impressive, they looked nice and belonged to the surroundings.
There was a marquee of fortune that we sat under, near chickens running free, half naked children, low wooden stools, earthen stoves... it was a nice atmosphere.
Loads of flies though, I could barely leave my drink alone...

The experince was pretty fun, I really want to go back and take more pictures in red earth and green settings.
When (if ever) I go back, I want my special guide to take me. Things will be that much more beautiful and interesting ;)

2 comments:

  1. Red earth. now thts interesting. kinda like mars

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, marvin... always with your far-stretched ideas...

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!