Saturday 10 July 2010

Dantokpa (Lock Woman)

Dantokpa is for the thick skinned. First, it is VERY big, with several different areas and lil alleys. It's easy to get lost.
I went with my stepmum and another aunty. I was mainly looking for waist beads (I have a thing for them)
We found them and my stepmum haggled for a tiny lil while, not much to argue about, the price was already low...
People walk pass you and bump into you, wandering sellers come right up to you and are genetically modified to not take NO for an answer, some people beg for money, after they see you buy something, and a lot of the women at their stalls are either lethargic or agressive. Most wear a top and an african cloth... They either look tired or agitated when they sell alone, but when you find two or three people selling, they are smiles all around and jokes... I guess the more the merrier huh? The guys pushing the "pousse-pousses" (2 wheeled carts) are dangerous, they can go over your foot without a second thought and their carts are usually heavily loaded.


We went somewhere else after, still in 'tokpa. It was in a building, which I recognised from my vague memories of Benin.
There was a woman selling african art in one of the many narrow alleys. I naturally stoped. For half an hour! Choosing what I wanted took a while, haggling took WAY more. My stepmom did it all, in "Fon" (her language). It would have cost us 11000 Francs CFA, it ended up costing 7000. Hats off to her!
I think every stall around us must have seen how long we spent there and guessed I was "foreign", I tried not to look incongruous, and blend in with a blasé air. Didn't work, they grabbed my arms as I walked past and didn't let go, they held me back against my will, trying to sell gold or cloth or even skin bleaching things! (the INSULT).
The guys were the scariest, they'd stand right in front and wouldn't move until my stepmum would intervene, they'd call me "LOCK WOMAN" and talk in what I guessed to be pidgin english... The alleys were too narrow to go around them politely, so I had to endure the same thing at every stall until we were far from the place we stoped. I guess people there, hadn't seen me buy half of the african art woman's stock.

I didn't like being touched so much, my arms felt violated, but we left the place alive and whole, it was fun actually, despite it all, it was very alive, and I admired the way people did business, living their lives, best they knew how... it was a nice invitation into ordinary beninese people's world.

4 comments:

  1. Nice. Une bonne expérience de shopping africaine. Guess its the same all over the continent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I hope not, else I won't go to the other countries local market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh!!! This piece brings back so many memories!! I visited Dantokpa everytime I was in Cotonou. It's mad mad mad!!! LOL...but I did get some bargains I have to admit. I'm with you on the people touching you and pulling your arms thing..it really just put me off but saying that, we do have a similar indoor market in Lagos, Nigeria and the men do get aggressive sometimes. Lovely piece dear,it brings back some nostalgic feelings as I miss my travel companions from back then. Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! This reminds me of when I went to Nigeria five years ago for the summer. I was literally hanging unto my step-sister's arm as I really didn't have a clue what to do half the time lol!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I've been described as an artsy, earthy, fun person :D I enjoy all things simple and beautiful, I love learning new stuff and always try to find out more about those who catch my attention. I love writing and since I have an opinion about most subjects... that's what my blogs are about, either through prose or poetry!